Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Tax Day + One

72 degrees, overcast, breezy, good day for walk. I just fired up the big, red mower and took care of the acre or so of weeds I call a back yard. We desperately need rain: as I mowed I could see 1/4-1/2" cracks in the ground already and it's only mid-April. The local farmers haven't even planted anything because there isn't enough water in the ground for seed germination. We won't be growing any corn for ethanol here, that's for sure. Ethanol: now there's a good ruse that's been swallowed by everybody. Sheesh. Talk about corny jokes!What an earful! (Ouch)

Ever since the press first"reported" (if that's what they do?) Barack's remarks in San Francisco,supposedly denigrating those of us less fortunate, who carry guns to Church, I have done almost nothing but read articles, op-eds and commentaries about that ludicrous episode.Seeing as everyone else and his brother (or sister) has already quoted it all, I'll pass here. You can read the quote anywhere. So far, I think I've read 33 pieces, but I've stopped counting. Some are good, some are just fluff and some are just dead wrong and are just a waste of space. I don't want to add to that growing pile or necessarily add myself to the ranks of "bitter" people (I've come to hate that word, along with "elite", both taken out of context and used inappropriately), but I do need to write something. This meaningless, time-wasting harrangue has got to stop. We are ignoring the other calamities around us, too many people have said the same things over and over again, and this horse is more than dead. Enough, already. And one more stinking word from Hillary about learning to shoot behind her cabin as a child (while swilling beer in a bowling alley) and I will be seriously ill. Apparently, many of the rest of us stopped drinking so she could start. I can't wait to hear what kind of story she will make up next. Maybe sniper fire at the airport in Wilkes Barre?

One ugly event that almost got missed was reported in a short piece on MNSNBC.com, about the tax day pronouncements and hot air by some guy named McCain. McSame. McSrewloose. Mc something. Anyway, he used the opportunistic opening to announce his proposals for ludicrous and dangerous gas tax cuts that won't really help, put the country much further in debt, will further cripple funding for the infrastructure of our highway system, cost even more jobs and throughout it all keep the military spending for the Middle East at current levels. And with no increase in benefits for returning GI's. I wonder how he got started owning those eight homes he has? I know the money didn't come from his wife's recipes(another dumb blonde trophy wife?). And the coverage of his whole little publicity-oriented stunt disappeared in about three hours. Almost no one, except the American Progress Action Fund, saw fit to comment on the idiocy of it all. Maybe everyone else was bitter. Or too busy bowling for dollars with Hillary to notice.

Maybe by later today the "bitter" end will be in sight, but unfortunately last night Keith Olbermann (Countdown) devoted the first half his show to the subject (at least Eugene Robinson spoke on something else)and there were no less than five pieces still droning away this morning, on or about "bitter" and "cling" and elite", in the NYT, alone. I hope it all stops soon. My head hurts from all this reading (Oh, crap! Barbara just sent me another one!)and I could use a break. Slorider has suggested a frontal lobotomy for me. I'll think about it. It would put alot of people out of my misery.

Meanwhile,
Life goes on in Texas.

2 comments:

SlowRider said...

I think you might get some pygmy goats for your back yard now that you fixed the fence. Other than a non-petroleum way to deal with the back yard, (they eat weeds) they are really fun. They tend to like to climb on things, and might want to join you for coffee in the mornings, as they're terrific friendly that way. Just Sayin'.

SlowRider said...

The suggestion I made about you getting a lobotomy, I was thinking about putting *others* out of their misery ! ;-)