Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Testing the Waters

While sitting in a waiting room this morning, while someone tried to fix my truck, I encountered two elderly ladies (caucasian) and posed a question to them. I said I reported some for the AARP on political affairs and the eldlerly (I do) and asked what they thought about the current presidential race and the candidates.

The first lady declined to make any comment at all. Her lips were sealed. She seemed horrified that I would even ask.

The second lady, a retired veteran of the US Air Force, was quick to say that McCain was "seasoned, experienced, knew the 'buttholes' in Washington and could lead us through our problems".

"That other guy", she said, was "a great 'oratator', a smooth talker and very persuasive. In fact he could probably talk you into anything." She was also adamant about his lack of experience, but defended his charm.

She concluded, "I don't like McCain but I'm gonna vote for him. Besides, that other guy, if he gets the job, won't live long enough to do anything, anyway."

Then I found out it would cost $1074.00 to fix my truck.

No comments: